- 1 Best Tent Reviews
- 2 Tent Buying Guide
Choosing the best tent can be a daunting task because tents are characterized and categorized, according to its shapes, features, types, and sizes, not to mention their brands. A tent is also considered as an important investment, mostly for family use. So, buying the best one is definitely a crucial step throughout this endeavor.
The best tent brands today offer very impressive features and durable materials, including high-grade technologies to meet the requirements of every consumer. However, not all tents are the same, as these products are individually designed for a certain purpose.
Family tent and camping tent reviews will surely help any potential buyer in choosing the best product, explaining every feature and recommending the best item to suit a customer’s style. The following are top-rated camping tent reviews on Amazon, offered by trusted brands and loved by millions of customers.
|Coleman Sundome Tent|| (4.5 / 5) |
|Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent|| (4.3 / 5) |
|Coleman 6-Person Instant Tent|| (4.5 / 5) |
|Wenzel Klondike Tent - 8 Person|| (4.3 / 5) |
|Wenzel Pine Ridge Tent - 5 Person|| (4.3 / 5) |
Best Tent Reviews
Coleman Sundome Tent
The Coleman Sundome Tent garners an average rating of 4.5 Stars on Amazon. This type of tent can hold up to six people easily. It also features an easy setup and tear-down systems, just in 10 minutes with its Insta-Clip poles.
Among the best camping tents, the Sundome Tent from Coleman is made of durable TC fabric construction, including a waterproof WeatherTec system. It measures at 10ft in length, 10ft in width, and 6ft in height.
It is the best family tent as it can accommodate up to six family members or friends. Its WeatherTec system can keep the rain at bay. With this model, Coleman boasts a breathable ventilation system, keeping the airflow and the bugs out at the same time.
Coleman is a trusted brand by millions of consumers across the globe, thus, the Sundome Tent assures the user with unwavering quality in the world of outdoor gear and camping. Coleman is an internationally-acclaimed company that offers no less than high-grade tents, coolers, stoves, lanterns, sleeping bags, and more. The best camping tents of this brand are ideal for a wide variety of activities, ranging from camping to hiking, hunting, fishing, swimming, boating, four-wheeling, tailgating, and so on.
Sundome Tent offers the simplest setup ever found on any family tent and is best for short trips, backpacking, and campgrounds. Consumers will certainly expect the ‘Coleman quality’ through this product with nice and smooth zippers without nags.
Overall, the tent is light, while offering a lot of ventilation, while avoiding internal condensation simultaneously. It is also capable of fitting a queen size air mattress as well as an ample room for backpacks, gear, and footwear. It’s easy-to-setup and pack-up design is possible, even in the dark. The Coleman Sundome is among the best camping tent brands of good value and great price that can last for several years.
Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent
Also with a 4.5-Star Rating on Amazon is Coleman’s 8-Person Red Canyon Tent. Based on 8 person tent reviews, this item from Coleman can undoubtedly accommodate up to eight persons. It measures at 17ft by 10ft with 72 inches as center height.
The Red Canyon includes room dividers that serve as privacy walls, allowing the users to create three individual rooms inside. Again, this Coleman product makes use of its very own WeatherTec System, keeping the users dry from an unwanted wet weather throughout the camping trip.
This tent also features an easy setup mechanism with its easy-to-follow assembly instructional guide, and its shock-corded poles. Indeed, it is among the top rated family tents, considering its Variflo adjustable venting system and Cool-Air port that allows airflow adjustments and gear access. A little mesh panel for the ceiling is likewise included, which is intended as a small cargo hold.
The 8-Person Red Canyon Tent is very spacious, offering up to eight campers to sleep comfortably. Hence, it is perfect for weekend camping trips with friends and family. It is also perfect for backcountry adventures.
With this tent from Coleman, consumers are rest assured with a more enjoyable outdoor activity as it does not pick a certain season. It is a brand that can hold out for a very long time without tearing or leaks. With the Coleman brand, replacement parts are easily found and available if necessary, thereby there’s no need to worry when it comes to spare parts and accessories.
All in all, the Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent is very easy to setup and pack-up, made with high quality materials, and makes use of high-grade and reliable technologies that ensure flawless and more enjoyable outdoor activities with friends and family members. It is certainly the best family tent for the money.
Coleman 6-Person Instant Tent
The Coleman 6-Person Instant Tent also receives an average rating of 4.5 Stars on Amazon. Among the best tents for families, this item from Coleman offers a very spacious interior that can accommodate two queen-sized air beds, considering its measurement at 10ft by 9ft footprint, and 6ft 2 inches as center height.
In just a minute, this tent can be assembled very easily through its pre-assembled poles. Coleman’s WeatherTec System is also used in this family tent, along with the patented welded floors, plus inverted seams that definitely keeps water out. The 6-Person Instant Tent also features illumiline reflective guy lines, providing greater visibility throughout the nighttime.
Furthermore, it has built-in, vented rain fly that gives added weather protection. Certainly, this tent from Coleman lives up to its name with its instant setup feature and an innovative one-piece design. The poles are already pre-attached to the tent itself, eliminating the laborious assembly task, while reducing the risk of lost parts.
This is one of the best tents for family camping as its six-foot center height allows the campers to stand fully upright. The tent’s steel poles are highly durable, standing up even to stiff winds. It also has leak-free seams, aside from the fully-taped rain fly seams that cover the doors and windows. Velcro-frame attachments are also incorporated in the overall design, offering optimum convenience.
The overall construction is made of weather-resistant materials, which is a combination of coated polyester fabric, anti-wicking thread, webbing, plus zippers. The inverted floor seams are likewise helpful in increasing weather resistance dramatically by hiding the needle holes in the tent.
It is one of the best tents for families because of Coleman’s wind strong frame, which is engineered to be more wind-responsive and stronger, including the guy-out triangles and redesigned poles that result in an increased performance. Consumers can also enjoy a limited one-year warranty from Coleman against defects in workmanship and materials.
Wenzel Klondike Tent – 8 Person
The Wenzel Klondike Tent – 8 Person is the best 8 person tent on the market today. It is a family dome tent with attached screen room. It is entirely made of weather-repellent polyester combined with polyurethane coating. It also features a full mesh roof option, along with double-staked power corners for added stability.
The Klondike’s screened areas serve as a sun room or could be a second sleeping room. With an average rating of 4.5 Stars, this dome tent from Wenzel measures at 16ft by 6.5ft by 11ft, weighing at 27.3 pounds.
Based on 8 person tent reviews, the Klondike is fantastic, even for the first-timers. The stakes are easy to install, while securing the tent at the same time. It has several windows and a full mesh ceiling, which are both perfect for star gazing. Customer reviews also reveal that this is the best large family tent as a king-sized mattress can fit in the second room, while providing extra space for moving and walking around.
The first room, meanwhile, can be used as storage space for some clothes, footwear, and bags. The floor is among the best selling points, compared to other two-room tents around, allowing the users to walk around without the dirt on the ground.
The Wenzel Klondike Tent – 8 Person is highly durable that it can surpass even a 35mph wind or a stronger one because the parts are securely tied all around. Indeed, high-grade materials are guaranteed with this tent, considering Wenzel as a trusted designer of outdoor gear and modern tools.
It is one of the best large camping tents ever made by Wenzel, creating the Klondike with ease and comfort in mind. Wenzel has always been committed to providing unmatched outdoor experiences to families, thus, they tend to create their products based on the needs of families. Undoubtedly, quality and efficiency are guaranteed with Wenzel’s sleeping bags, camp pads, and top family tents.
Wenzel Pine Ridge Tent – 5 Person
The Wenzel Pine Ridge Tent is a 5 person family tent and among the cheap tents on the market today. It is a two-room family dome type, which is perfect for small families of four to five. This tent from Wenzel also garners an average of 4.5-Star Rating, similar to its big brother.
The Pine Ridge is constructed with weather armor polyester and polyurethane coating. It features 1 mesh window, mesh roof, and 2 mesh doors, plus a hanging divider curtain. The poles are made of shock-corded fiberglass with a grommet attachment system that results in a convenient setup.
One of the best tent brands, the Pine Ridge from Wenzel measures at 10ft by 8ft, with a floor area of 80 sq. ft, 58 inches peak height, and 11 pounds in weight. While its canopy is made of polyester, its floor is constructed with welded polyethylene. Thus, it is more durable than nylon, which is commonly used by other brands.
This Wenzel dome-type tent also has a very reasonable price tag, not to mention its perfect color combination of green and gray that can blend with the woody environment.
The Pine Ridge is certainly one of the best family tents for camping, not only during the summer, but also all year-round due to its excellent ventilation and easy setup and pack-up mechanisms. With this tent, families can create memorable camping activities, having a shelter in the woods or the forest, campgrounds, by the beach, or any area outside the home.
It is also the best tent for family camping, boasting its revolutionary Lite Reflect system, an even and useful glow of light all around. Without a doubt, this best selling tent from Wenzel is the best family tent for the money with innovative design, useful features, and an overall sturdy construction.
Tent Buying Guide
For campers who are preparing for their very first trip to the woods or for many other outdoor adventures, having the best tent is very essential. Therefore, it is also important to learn about the different types of tents that are available on the market in order to find the right one, suiting their personal needs and the environment at the same time. Below are the most important factors that any potential buyer of tents should consider.
Perhaps, the size of the tent is the most crucial factor to think about when buying such product. Of course, the best tent for family of 4 will do very well for families with four or less members. Keep in mind that the size should provide ample space for sleeping comfortably, while giving added space for camping gear and accessory storage. The head room, living space, and eating space could be optional, depending on the family’s requirements.
The material used in a tent is worth-thinking about. While the best tent brands offer different materials in the construction of their products, it is still vital to learn about the pros and cons of each. Canvas is durable, but it could also become very heavy, especially when used in large family tents. Meanwhile, nylon is lighter and designed for calm conditions. Polyester, on the other hand, is perfect for long periods during sunny conditions, withstanding excessive sunlight exposure, and even a cold weather.
Before you end up with a certain brand of tent, it is important to make sure that such item is suited for a particular weather condition, thereby; you have to determine the main purpose of your tent. For rainy or stormy weather, it is sensible to ensure a 100% waterproof tent, including a rain fly that provides total coverage. An extra tent porch is also helpful for storing wet items that are unwanted in the tent.
A highly durable tent is valuable against strong rain pours, winds, and other extreme conditions. With this in mind, it is ideal to pick one with strong tent poles, secured fastenings, and high quality pegs that are very helpful throughout retaining the tent’s durability. For an overall strength, it is sensible to choose the best family tents with double-sewn seams.
Family tent reviews and product descriptions will often say how easy a tent can be set-up and packed away. With this alone, you can narrow down the choices based on your requirements. As for the above mentioned tent models, they offer easy and quick setup in just several minutes, while other products will require a team work among camping associates.
Similarly, the style of the tent is a significant factor to consider, and again would entirely depend on your personal desire, and perhaps, your budget too. Cheap tents are sold on the market and these varieties make use of certain materials and construction that are still durable and reliable, without compromising the quality, yet with reasonable price tags.
- Traditional A-Frame – The traditional A-frame tents create an ‘A’ shape when erected. This style of tent is made of lightweight materials, usually with an added tarp for extra protection. Most of these tents, however, are a bit heavy to carry around, although they are spacious inside because of the steep, sloping sides. Traditional A-frame tents do not normally surpass extreme weather conditions, especially during windy days because they are only composed of two poles at each end, forming an apex with a ridgepole running down the center.
- Modified A-Frame – The main difference between the traditional and the modified A-frame tent is the curved poles, rather than the straight poles. The modified version tends to offer more stability with an improved headroom and interior space. Modified A-frame tents also provide full coverage rain fly, allowing the campers to leave the tarp behind.
- Tunnel Tent – Tunnel tent is said to equate excellent stability when pitched end-on to incoming winds. But, when pitched the other way, it could be less stable. Tunnel tents are typically made of two poles or more for the width structure, giving more spaces for the headroom and interior. However, the durability still varies from brand to brand, poles used, materials, and size.
- Hoop Tent – This style of tent has curved poles on either side, retaining the shape and stability. But, guy ropes should be tied with pegs and staked carefully for optimum pitching. This style offers a spacious interior and headroom because it is made up of three arched frames. With this style, rain water and snow can slide off easily. And, this type is the lightest, and could be the most compact family tent on the market.
- Single Hoop – This tent style is basically made of a single curved pole, and usually designed to accommodate up to two people. A single hoop tent will not do very well in strong winds, although it could be quite sturdy if the wind runs against the tent’s spine. Hence, this type is perfect for backpacking and cycling for the weight and space factors.
- Dome Tent – This style is among the most popular and the best family tents for camping. A dome tent is made of two to three poles that pass each other across the center of the roof. Dome tents offer very spacious living areas and headroom. Today, manufacturers have designed this tent style with the feature of having separate rooms as well as porches or areas for gear and equipment storage. Compared to other styles, dome tents can withstand extreme weather conditions like snow, and these are very easy to pitch.
- Other Types – There are other tent types such as the safari tents and the yurts, but these styles are usually more permanent and are used for different purposes other than for family camping tents.
Tents also fall into five basic categories, ranging from the Summer/Screen, Convertible, Three-season, Tarp, and the Mountaineering/Winter.
- Summer/Screen Tent – This category of tent has a maximum ventilation design and bug protection during the steamy summer months. The best family tents under the summer/screen category have strong skeletal systems with full coverage rain flies, surpassing weather such as moderate breezes and summer thunderstorms. These tents feature large swaths of mesh, allowing the air to flow freely throughout.
- Convertible – Tents under this category are perfect for campers who want to dip into all types of weather conditions. Convertible tents offer hybrid design, featuring vestibule, pole, and rain fly options, similar to most of the above mentioned family tent reviews. The rain fly options allow the users to strip it down during summer trips or fortify it during stormy adventures. The walls of convertible tents also feature mesh windows with nylon panels that can be zipped close when necessary. However, keep in mind that tents under this category can be heavier than others.
- Three-Season – Three-season tents are geared towards keeping the campers dry and cozy, despite the wet conditions. Hence, these tents are perfect for spring to fall. These tents are also constructed to withstand strong winds, although not snow loads, while the walls are made of mesh combined with ventilation. Therefore, this design strikes a good balance between protection and ventilation.
- Tarp – Tents under this category are perfect for ultra-light campers who sacrifice everything just to save weight. Thus, a tarp is a solid sheet of polyester or nylon, which can be rigged with trees, boulders, trekking poles, or roots. But, very good knot-tying skills are necessary with these kinds of tents, getting the most of them as there are no floors or walls, including bug protection. Some manufacturers are able to produce weather-resistant tarps nowadays.
- Mountaineering/Winter – Mountaineering or winter tents are typically built for the most extreme weather conditions. These tents are made of sturdy pole structures, tough fabrics, and several external guy-out points. Typically, these tents have low, boulder-like shapes, helping shed winds, while the large vestibules are great for gear storage.
The outdoors is an open-air dance floor that can be turned into something more than that, such as a shelter away from home. Thus, the best family camping tents can make this happen, allowing families and group of friends to spend quality time together, while camping, hiking, fishing, backpacking, and so on. Tents can certainly transform ordinary events into extraordinary memories, considering the different uses of various tents.
- Decoration – Tents are not only geared towards camping needs. This kind of equipment can also serve as decoration and not just a guard against impending weather. While tents are available in plain colors, they, too, come in varied designs, such as majestic-hued tents splattered with gold stars, just perfect for a magical evening. The beam and pole can be concealed, while adding embellishments like twinkle lights, flowers, chandeliers, and drapery.
- Waterfront Property – During camping, hiking and fishing, a tent can be a very useful waterfront property, setting it up along the bay, river, or lake. Hence, the best camping tent brands can help in achieving this goal, blocking the unwanted outdoor elements such as bugs, too much sunlight, wind, rain, and most of all, snow.
- Ballroom – The best large tents can transform any ordinary walkway into an amazing scenery. Large, high-quality tents can turn a backyard, a walkway, parking lot, or field into a ballroom.
- Outdoor Patio – Tents are good options for last-minute get-togethers, creating an outdoor patio to accommodate friends and families for a great night of booze.
- Outdoor Kitchen – Today, many gatherings make use of the best large tent to serve as the outdoor kitchen, while hosting big events. The chefs and catered delicacies, preparation works and cooking can be done under a tent without struggling with finding nearby venues.
While tents vary based on the specific use, material, type, and size, tents today are becoming more and more popular among the modern backpackers and campers. Thus, cheap family tents are increasingly produced and offered by various manufacturers on the market.
Family camping tents reviews also testify about the benefits and advantages of these camping tents that is perfect for every family, ranging from 4-member families to the best 8 person tent. Different brands, such as the above mentioned top rated family tents can also extend the camping experience, offering compatible and very useful accessories, gear, and add-ons for added protection, comfort and stability.
All these details are essential, before buying the best camping tent on the market, considering both the negative and positive consumer reviews, the materials, type, purpose, size, and the brand of the tent. For added protection, considering the manufacturer’s warranty is equally important, while keeping in mind that the lifespan of every family tent vary largely on the frequency of its use and its overall construction.